Macro Photographers’ Mindset And Journey
Most successful macro photographers have dedicated their life to learning more about macro photography (equipment, their skills and techniques). The video below provides us with a glimpse into the world of macro photography and highlights the macro photographers‘ journey. More importantly, it teaches us about the mindset of macro photographers.
Here are some of key messages in the macro photography video (by Viks) below –
- Macro photography requires practise – a common way to learn is to go on walkabouts and challenge yourself.
- Depth of field in macro photography is very important – when Vik started, he didn’t understand how to control depth of field
- It is important to know that when you are closer to a subject, your depth of field is more shallow.
- He has been continually learning more about macro photography and learning more about his camera gear
- In the first year:
- Most good photos were taken by chance – foreground and background of the photo was always in focus.
- Photos of insects flying in mid air were taken by luck.
- He focused on learning about his lens and how to control depth of field.
- Then once you have mastered depth of field, consider taking photos of your subject from different angles
- In the second / third year:
- Started to learn more about his photography equipment – Camera and Flash
- Challenged himself to get out there to take photos of insects/birds in mid-air.
- Don’t wait for luck, get out there and make the shot happen – this is part of your macro photography journey.
- Continue to build your skill and mindset as a macro photographer – never give up.
- Through perseverance, you will be able to take photos that are unique
Macro photographers‘ journey is one where they are constantly challenging themselves to learn. Although it may take you a while to master your equipment and learn the right technique, you should always persevere – don’t give up. When hearing Vik speak about his experiences, you can’t help but notice the excitement in his voice and his expressions. It really highlights how fun macro photography is and how rewarding it can be when you capture that special photo. We urge you all to have a look through all the photos you have taken to date – look at your very own journey. Hopefully you will see how much you have progressed and improved. Keep motivated and please leave us a comment below to tell us about your journey!
Recommended reading –